While the family of a Chicago man fatally shot by police last year opposed the release of dramatic video showing the incident, their attorney said Wednesday that “now the whole world knows what happened.”
There have been protests in Chicago since authorities on Tuesday released dashcam video showing the death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald in October of 2014. The officer who shot the teen, Jason Van Dyke, is being held on a charge of first-degree murder.
“They’re still in grieving and his mother is in counseling, but she understands that the truth had to come out and she understands that the video will be used in the prosecution of the officer so it’s really kind of a mixed reaction,” Jeff Neslund, an attorney for the McDonald family, said on MSNBC.
“We are relieved and thankful that finally charges have been brought against the officer and that the truth is out there, and now the whole world knows what happened to Laquan,” Neslund said.
The video shows a young man, later identified as McDonald, walking down the middle of a street as multiple officers draw their weapons. One of the officers appears to fire his weapon, and the man spins and collapses on his right side.