Ted Cruz is on a roll. He’s now leading in Iowa according to several polls, and is gaining momentum primary states. Pundits are predicting he’ll soon displace Donald Trump. But what does Cruz stand for? Here are ten Cruz missiles:
1. He supports a Constitutional amendment mandating Congress pass a balanced budget. It’s a terrible idea that would eliminate fiscal policy as a tool to balance the economy during recessions.
2. He wants to cut corporate tax rates to 15 percent. Another bad idea. Corporations don’t need a tax cut, and the cuts would have to be made up by individual taxpayers.
3. Cruz wants to repeal the Common Core education standards from the federal government. Why? They’re already voluntary and provide good benchmarks.
4. On immigration, he’d block any current effort that lets undocumented immigrants legally remain in the U.S. He’d triple the number of border patrol agents and quadruple their equipment. Another stupid idea that would break up families and fail to deal with the underlying issue of how to regularize the immigration status of millions who have been in the United States for many years.
5. Repeal Obamacare. As he showed in his 2013 23-hour speech on the Senate floor, he’s adamantly opposed to the new health care law and wants it repealed in entirety.
6. Leave it up to states to decide whether to allow gay marriage. He says only the four states specifically named in the Supreme Court decision on gay marriage Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee) must abide by the ruling, and other states should ignore it. That’s nuts. The Supreme Court decision was intended to have national scope.
7. He thinks there should be strict limits on abortion. Cruz has staunchly supported bans on any taxpayer funding of abortion and bans of so-called partial birth abortion. This is a big reason why evangelicals love him.
8. Elect the Supreme Court. He wants to abolish lifetime appointment to the court and subject justices to periodic election instead. This would require a Constitutional amendment, of course, and it’s nuts. The Court has to be independent of politics. It’s already too politicized.
9. Cruz wants to move toward a flat tax. This would increase the tax rates of the middle and lower-middle class and reduce them for the rich. He also wants to abolish the IRS.
10. On the Islamic State, Cruz doesn’t want to send in U.S. ground troops — yet. But he says that if Kurdish fighters on the ground can’t do it, we should send troops.
Trump is a bigot and a buffoon. Cruz is a right-wing zealot and unprincipled opportunist. That these two would emerge as the leading Republican contenders for president of the United States as we head into a presidential election year is terrifying.
What do you think?